Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Reading Labels

I won't say I've never judged others.  Who can really say that?  Lots of time we judge when someone is different from us or has different "rules".  I've always thought that some parents that say their child/children have allergies might take things a little too far..... yep! me judging.  Until you're in someone's shoes, you can't possibly know what they're going through.

TH and I have had concerns about BB and some allergy issues.  I finally broke down and made an appointment at the allergist's office a few weeks ago.  When BB had his 1 yr wellness visit, our pediatrician told me to keep him off of milk.  He's had skin issues and broken out over other things so to be on the safe side I was to hold off on dairy.  Then the whole ER visit occured, I had a pretty good idea that was caused by cheese which I had already been giving to him.  So anyway.......

Last Tuesday, BB and I went to the scheduled appointment.  The doc did the 8 common allergies that are found in children.  My poor child responded to 6 out of the 8.  Three of the 6 were severe responses..... dairy, peanuts and eggs.  The three that were question marks and need to be redone is 6 months were corn, soy and fish.

I'm glad we found out sooner rather than later.  But..... man oh man!  This is so not cool.  I'm crossing my fingers and praying BB out grows some of it.  I know once this becomes our norm it won't be so bad.  It's just getting into the groove and figuring out what's what.... it's freakin hard!  Luckily, I got some people (Kristen!) I can rely on to help and get great pointers.  It really is a lifestyle change.  I'm battling with the choice of making BB's special food on occasion or changing the entire family's eating habits around.  Truthfully, I'll probably do a little of both if that makes sense.

I made my first grocery run Saturday evening to pick BB up a few snacks for the daytime.  I had both boys with me because TH was working.  BIG mistake!  Big, big mistake.  Reading labels and trying to keep two kiddos entertained at the same time does NOT work.  And LM had a breakdown because I wouldn't let him eat donuts I was buying for our Sunday school class.  That grocery run was an epic fail!  I went back today by myself to try again.  This time I was there 45 minutes and only got 3 things.  *sigh*  I know this is just something new that I've got to get into the habit of but I want to throw a small pity party for just one minute.  I do have to say that I was already making food changes around the house.  We were eating lots more fruits and veggies.  I had gotten to be a pretty good "perimeter" shopper.  But, like my dad says, "It is what it is."  Because in the grand scheme of things..... it's not a biggie.  But, if you know me IRL and see my child, at say church for example, and he has a sticker on his back..... it's an allergy warning!! Ha.

4 comments:

Dhall said...

I hate that you are having to figure all of this out! You will get in the groove soon and you wont have to "think" as much about it!! Good thing you have friends you mentioned who can help!!

Kristen said...

Like I said, it gets easier. Also, it's WAY easier to modify everyone's eating habits within the home than just one person's. That way everything is safe for him, especially once he is big enough to try and get his own snacks/food.

Brooke said...

So sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine how hard it will be to get used to a new "normal". On the bright side though, he's a healthy and handsome little guy :)

Mazzy said...

Stressful! I cannot even imagine. I remember thinking how "lucky" I got out with my first... we never had any real issues of any kind with her and then the other day I had this moment of "holy crap, you have to worry about ALL THAT STUFF AGAIN."

I wish you luck as you navigate this one and figure it out! So many people I know have to deal with it, and they always manage to get the hang of it! I'm sure it is much like anything else in life that you just need the time to adjust and learn new habits.