Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Compromise


TH and I have been dealing with the issue of where our son (Lil Man) will attend school next year.  Because of the program he's in, he has what is called a IEP and a IEP Team.  IEP stands for Individualized Education Program.  The IEP Team meets annually to go over the IEP and decide on goals for the following year.  TH and I were in the meeting a few weeks back.  We were, what I felt like, sucker punched when at the end of the meeting were told LM's current school wasn't an option for next year.  I was speechless.  (And if you know me in real life, you know this isn't something that happens very often. Umm, like never!)  We didn't like the two options that were laid on the table for us.  We presented another option.

As the weeks have go by, I have been in meetings, on the phone and sending emails to those involved trying to determine what's best for our son.  Because this is about our son!  This is not about numbers as far as TH and I are concerned.  I even went so far during a phone conversation to say, "Please don't think I'm rude. But frankly, I don't care about your numbers.  I care about my son.  Period!"  The coordinator we were working with was doing her job..... didn't mean I had to like what she had to say during some of our conversations though.  It also didn't mean I had to go along with what I was hearing either.  Hearing, "No." isn't something I'm all that fond of either.  I think in life there are times you have to ignore it and stay the course til you do hear something you like...... and in this case, we finally heard something we liked after not hearing, "No." on several occasions.

We have reached a compromise.  One in which I truly believe will benefit LM the most.  Because as I have stated numerous times to different people, this is about our son.  I will do what it takes to ensure my child has access to as many tools as possible to make him as successful as he can be. 

I'll be the first to admit I'm not always the best at compromising.  I tend to get a certain thought in my head and stay the course.  But as I grow older (and hopefully more wiser), I'm learning that compromise is ultimately the best option.  It allows both parties get what they want or need.........

I will even go as so far to say that TH and I are excited about what next year holds for our son.  The progress we've seen over the past 9 months has been awesome.  And I guess that's what made the decision process so important for next year.  We've seen the progress and in no way want to see anything less for next year.

As Mother's Day is quickly approaching, I'm learning and verifying what a mother actually is...... I'll post more on that later.
 

No comments: