I think I'm beginning to enter a new phase of motherhood. A phase that is both good and bad.... and phase that I hope I handle with grace and love. Lil Man will be 5 in August. He will be going to school all day come this fall. I think I've got to start cutting some of the "mommy strings" and letting him go.
He's just 5 yrs old! (and not even that yet but will be soon.) I've been sensing that he's wanting more independence. He's wanting to go more and do more with other people. Our neighbors have a little boy that's a year younger than LM. He wants to go over several days a week and play. We have some other good friends in the neighborhood..... wants to go to their house all the time. He actually has gone places with them before. I don't let my children go with anyone other than family. But I think I'm going to have to snip a few strings, let my baby have a little more freedom. He's FOUR so I'm not going all crazy! Don't get me wrong by any means. I still have a little difficulty letting him go to my in-laws' house... I am getting better though. It's not because I don't trust them or think LM won't have fun. They just live a little farther than I like...... snip, snip. Last night was LM's little "banquet" if you will for the end of his tball season. As they called his name, he strutted up front and proudly stood as his coaches talked about him.... snip, snip. Today as he walked from our house to the neighbor's to play, he had a little pop in his step because he was so happy to be doing it on his own... snip, snip.
My baby is growing. Growing into this awesome little boy. A little boy that I want to protect and shield. A little boy that I have to allow to have some wings and "fly". (He ain't flyin to far but I'm trying to paint you a picture.) I'll be honest. I want to protect all my children. I love them all unconditionally. I would die for any of them. But Lil Man, he's got a tiny, tiny extra piece of my heart. Is it because he's my first born? Or is it because he's a little behind his age group due to his developmental delays and speech problem? Truthfully, I think it's a little bit of both.
I'm going to go hide all the scissors to keep the snipping at bay. Ha! When I think I need to snip a few strings, I'll bite through them.... that way it will take longer!!
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment