Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Stranger

Let me set the stage......

Yesterday morning we were having breakfast at a local restaurant.  TH, the boys and I swung by, grabbed my mom and met my dad because he was working.  It's a restaurant made up of locals.  We were sitting at a round table waiting on our food to arrive.  LM was sitting in between TH and me; BB was sitting between my mom and dad.  We're sitting there chatting and just hanging out......

A man steps up behind me as he was heading to pay his bill.  He stops and looks at TH and me.  Then he says, "I don't know what you're doing as parents but you need to keep doing it."

I have to admit it took me a minute.  He caught me off guard.  I processed what he said.  And then he continued....

"Whatever you're doing to raise those boys, you doing good.  You can tell you care about your kids.  You don't start teaching children when you're in public.  You obviously teach your children how they should act at home and it carries over when you're out in a restaurant.  Some parents just let their kids to whatever they want no matter where they are.  You should be proud.  I just wanted to tell you good job and I admire you."

UMMM, WOW!  I, to say the least, was completely caught off guard.  All I could say was, "Thank you, sir," and might have possibly had a tear in my eye.

Parenting is hard.  Period.  Anyone, and I mean anyone, who says it's easy is a liar.  Again, period!  For this man to notice, I was pleased, shocked and teary all at once.  I'm a mom, and I'm human.  There are days when I lose my cool with my boys.  There are days when I feel like I'm trying to get a million things done and not giving them the attention they need.  There are days when I neglect household chores to devote all my time and energy to LM and BB.  But when I'm tired, when I'm full of energy, when I'm impatient, when I'm annoyed, when I'm having a fabulous day..... no matter what I am, no matter where I am..... my days are consumed with my boys.  Even when I'm not with them.  I am their mother.  It's my JOB to raise them and provide them with the "tools" to become respectable, self sustaining adults.  TH and I are not their friends.  We won't be their friends anytime soon.  Maybe when they're 30! :)  When you write mother in WORD and click synonym.... what pops up? Look after, care for, protect, nurse, and tend..... friend is nowhere in that.  Being a great mom also means my marriage comes first.  If TH and I have a thriving, loving, Christian marriage, that enables us to be better parents.

To have a stranger recognize and acknowledge that..... it makes me proud.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hey, that's great! Nice to be acknowledged :)